So I got another screenshot uploaded to our screenshot page. Things are moving along nicely. Construction is there in rough form, pathfinding is doing great. We’ve got some new models in the game, added shadows which really improves the visual of the game. Working on more stuff with player equipment functionality and will probably be putting out an updated alpha by mid-december. Also going through a house purchase so things might get a little dicey. But I’ll keep the site updated with any progress.
Just a quick update. It’s been a busy summer with lots of other stuff going on with the family. I’ve recently re-engaged with the project here and am working on it again. Should have an update by end of November with either a video or updated Alpha build. Cheers,
Open Alpha is available via the Download page! Try it out if you get some time. Current build is about 50 MB. Enjoy!
Oh wow. Very excited to announce the following:
– You can now repair and drive vehicles around and run over zombies 🙂 Still some polish to go on the animations but everything is functioning.
– Day and night cycle is re-implemented. Working on adding items such as NVGs and Flashlights so you can see stuff at night.
– Destroy spawn points. Planting a bomb at the site of a zombie spawn location allows you to blast it to smitherines (along with any zombies in proximity.
– Scavenge: As the primary source of generated resources, scavenging in junk piles gives you parts (for repairing stuff), fuel (for driving stuff), and supplies (for shooting stuff).
Yet to Come:
– RPG to take out vehicles and spawn locations
– Manufacturing: allows you to craft weapons to equip your survivors with
– Cure, Diagnosis and First Aid Kits (b’cause you might want to heal people at some point)
– Cars as mobile resupply points
– Construction: We’re holding off on implementing this until everything else is nice and polished.
Working on the first scenario that we’ll be using throughout our alpha testing. Got some prototype promotional items that I’ll be selling to fund development. I decided on keychain bottle openers since they have a use and look cool (see sample below). They are made from 12 gauge stainless steel and have the Zombica logo etched on them. These will be for sale in the coming weeks so stop back by to support the effort. In the meantime I’ll be sharpening things up for our next public testing round. Cheers,
I’ve added some information on the weapons you’ll be able to equip your survivors with and a screenshot of what I’ve been working on. Performance is vastly improved and though there are a few physics bugs to work out the overall smoothness of gameplay has come a long way. The building mechanics have been removed for now but I’ll be adding them back in. Thanks to everyone who is participating in our surveys (as they will help shape the direction of the game).
So basically here is the realization that I have come to. There was too much content and not enough polish in the pre-alpha that I distributed. I am planning on slashing some features that were not conducive to fun RTS gameplay. Namely: RPG elements, salvage micro-management, some level of building. And I have refocused on the following: tactical combat, disease spread prevention, more basic economy and NPC interactions.
Since Zomboid, Roam and so many other zombie games have the RPG details down I’ll be focusing on RTS gameplay. I plan to polish up the basics and get that out there sooner than later to solicit feedback. So far here’s what’s been recoded:
– Explosive traps that you can drop and trigger
– Implemented new stealth mode
– Zombies infect survivors
– Zombies spawn from dead survivor corpses
– Enter and exit buildings more smoothly
– Reduced overall resources for now to: ammo, traps, fuel (though vehicles have not been reimplemented)
Latest update is that I’m making significant changes to the core of the game. Feedback during alpha was clear that the core of the game just isn’t capturing what I hoped for. I am therefore taking the time to go back to the drawing board in some aspects and rebuild some of the core code. One big change is that I am changing the way that the game will play from one huge map to sections of the map. There were some pretty big performance issues when you have realtime access to a map the size of the Zombica world. So I am going to break the map down into smaller maps with a larger map bringing the experience together. Thanks for bearing with me as I make these changes. Also, since this game is self funded I’ll be selling some items through this website to raise money to continue funding development.
I’m getting ready to launch an open test version of the system to solicit feedback. I’ll be adding a download page and creating a link to it as well. I’ll have a form that you can use to request an access code to download the application so I’m sure bots aren’t killing my server. I came in today and had over 800 spam comments I had to clean up 🙂 Anyway, I’ll be getting things launched soon.
As always, suggestions welcome,
Just updated the video above with our update. Working on getting our funding initiatives going. Thanks all for participating in the polls.